EuGeStA is an international network which brings together European researchers working from the perspectives developed in Gender Studies in different disciplinary fields of Antiquity : literature, philosophy, history, history of art, history of religion, law, medicine, economics, archaeology…
The institutional members of EuGeStA are the universities of
Basel (Lead: Henriette Harich), Bern (Lead:Thomas Späth), Exeter (Lead: Rebecca Langlands), Fribourg (Lead: Véronique Dasen), Lille (lead: Jacqueline Fabre-Serris), Manchester (Lead: Alison Sharrock), Munich (Lead: Therese Fuhrer), the Open University (Lead : James Robson), Paris 1 (Lead: Violaine Sebillotte-Cuchet), Toronto (Lead: Alison Keith), Turin (Lead: Federica Bessone) and UCLA (Lead: Giulia Sissa).
There are two kinds of activities undertaken :
- the organisation of seminars rotating between the partner universities of the network
Related document (pdf)
- the maintenance of a website which is concerned to promote contacts and exchanges between researchers and students.
Editor : JACQUELINE FABRE-SERRIS
Scientific committee : FEDERICA BESSONE, CLAUDE CALAME, VERONIQUE DASEN, THERESE FUHRER, HENRIETTE HARICH, ALISON KEITH, HELEN KING, REBECCA LANGLANDS, ALISON SHARROCK, VIOLAINE SEBILLOTTE-CUCHET, GIULIA SISSA, THOMAS SPAETH
- The registration is now open for the virtual conference Women Wealth and Power in Republican Rome (May 24th - 27th 2021) (...)
- Study day "Gender and / or in antiquity" / I Jornada Archai Gênero e Antiguidade that will take place on Monday, February 22, 2021 (...)
- Plautus and the Women of Washington University in St-Louis. Saturday, February 6th (...)
- The Women in Ancient Cultures (WAC) online rolling conference will start on Tuesday January 12th (...)
- A. Sharrock and A. Keith (eds), Maternal Conceptions in Classical Literature and Philosophy, University of Toronto Press, Toronto (Phoenix Supplementary Volumes, 57), 2020 (February).
- Allison Surtees and Jennifer Dyer, Exploring Gender Diversity in the Ancient World, A. Surtees and J. Dyer (eds), Edinburgh: University of Edinburgh Press, 2020 (March).
Read more (publications)
Call for papers
- Call for Papers for the ‘Queer and the Classical: Critical Futures, Critical Feelings’ conference, running online out of Oxford on 20-21 February 2021
- Conference Il ruolo delle donne nel pensiero politico antico e la loro eredità/ Women's Roles in Ancient Political Thought and their Legacy'
Organisation: Ida Gilda Mastrorosa (Università di Firenze) and José Ravier Beneitez Prudenzio (Universitad de Castilla-La Manche). 28-29 January 2021 (...)
- Next EuGeStA conference : Women’s Collective in Classical Antiquity (and Beyond)
This Conference is organized by Alison Keith and will take place at the University of Toronto on 9-10 April 2021. (...)
- The first conference of the network Women Writers and Classics , organized by Emily Hauser and Helena Taylor, will take place on 18-19 June at the University of Exeter. (...)